Is hunting prohibited in Shawnee?

Yes. However, the Municipal Code does allow target or practice shooting on agriculturally zoned property of at least 20 acres, if the target shooting occurs at a reasonable time, at least 500 feet from any building, with a backstop, and limited to shotguns, pistols, air guns, or bows and arrows with bludgeoned tips.

Use of cell phone while driving:

As of January 1, 2011, it is prohibited to "write, send or read a written communication" while driving. This includes text messages, instant messages, email, and further.

However, there is no State law or City ordinance prohibiting talking on cell phones while driving. For teens, the use of cell phones while driving is prohibited until completion of the six month period of passenger and late-night driver restrictions. Like any other distraction in a vehicle, proper care should be taken when using a cell phone while the vehicle is in motion.

Although officers will not stop someone for simply talking on the phone, motorists will be stopped for operating a vehicle in such a manner as to indicate a careless or heedless disregard for the rights or safety of others, or in such a manner as to endanger any person or property. The operation of a motor vehicle in this manner constitutes Careless Driving, which is a violation of City ordinance and State law.

If I lock my keys in my car, will the police open my car?

Police officers will only attempt to unlock a vehicle if there is an immediate danger, such as a child or animal locked inside. The more technologically advanced cars become, the more difficult it becomes to unlock them. Vehicles with electric locks are more likely to be damaged with "slim jims." The best bet is to contact a locksmith immediately. Most auto clubs and insurance companies cover lockout expenses. Check with your insurance agent.

Can the Police Department conduct a Civil Stand-by?

Police officers will conduct a "civil stand-by." Two police officers will accompany you while you are at the residence to keep the peace. The police officers cannot get into matters dealing with what property belongs to whom. These issues are civil matters that have to be handled in the Civil Division of the Johnson County Court. Shawnee police officers can stand-by for a short period of time, while a person gets the basics such as clothes, toiletries, etc. Police officers cannot stand-by while a person completely moves out of their residence.

It should be noted that, in the event where one party has placed a protection or no contact order on the other, any contact between the two parties is a violation of that order. If such order is in place, our law enforcement officers will not assist in a civil standby.

Will the Police Department assist in child custody exchanges?

Dating back to August of 2006, it has been the desire of the Judges of the Johnson County District Court that all supervised child exchanges be conducted under the guidance of the Johnson County Court Services.

Since that date, it has been the intent of the Shawnee Police Department to honor the wishes of the Johnson County District Court and to refer requests for supervised child custody exchanges back to the courts. Civil standbys for child custody exchanges were only to be held on individual, emergency case-by-case situations where there was an immediate and imminent risk of danger for those involved.

The Shawnee Police Department does not send officers to stand by for routinely scheduled civil child custody exchanges. If one or more parties involved in the civil child custody exchange believe that their exchange requires supervision, the exchanges are to be held at the Johnson County Court Services center in Olathe.

The Johnson County Court Services center does not schedule civil child custody exchanges without an order from the District Court. Citizens wishing to take advantage of the supervised exchange program must contact the Judge that issued their child custody paperwork. The Judge will then amend the paperwork allowing the supervised exchanges to take place at the Johnson County Court Services Center.

The Johnson County Court Services Center is located at 18505 W. 119 St, Olathe KS, 66061. For more information about the supervised child custody exchange program, the Johnson County Court Services center can be reached at (913) 715-7400, or through their website, courts.jocogov.org.

Do Community Service Officers pick up stray cats?

No. The Shawnee Police Department will only pick up cats that are sick or dangerous. If you believe a cat is sick or dangerous, you can contact the Community Service Officer at (913) 631-2155 for assistance.

Where are animals that have been picked up by the Shawnee Police Department lodged?

Animals are lodged at Great Plains SPCA, located at 5424 Antioch, Merriam, Kansas. You can contact them at (913) 831-7722.

Impounded dogs are held for 5 days before they may be available for adoption. Cats are held 4 days.

Abandoned Car
The Police Department does not tow vehicles off private property unless the car is stolen or is evidence of a crime. Any towing company will tow a vehicle off your property at the owner's expense. If you feel the vehicle may be stolen or appears suspicious contact the Police Department.
Missing Persons
There is no specific waiting period for reporting a missing or overdue person. It is difficult to recommend a time period because each case is different. One suggestion would be to call different locations the person might be, including friends, family, employer, and common places where they spend time. Find out when the person was last seen and by whom. Ask if the missing person said they might stop off somewhere on the way home. Find out if they mentioned having car trouble. Once these efforts have been exhausted, please contact the Police Department.
Lost Cell Phones
The Shawnee Police Department does not complete police reports for lost cellular phones. Lost phones are not a criminal matter, and there is no investigation to be initiated by department personnel. These matters need to be addressed with the owner's cell phone carrier. If you obtain information that indicates the phone may have been stolen, contact the Police Department immediately and a report will be taken. A police investigation may be initiated for stolen phones, and you will be provided the case number of your report. For lost phones, the pdf form below should be provided to your cell phone carrier as confirmation of contact with your local police department.

Cell Phone Letter (pdf)
Lost License Plates
The Police Department will not complete police reports and provide case numbers involving misplaced or lost license plates and registration decals when there is no crime involved. These incidents do not involve any criminal activity and there is no investigation that can be undertaken.

If a citizen responds to the Police Department and reports the lost or misplaced item, the Police Department will provide a letter (pdf form below) for the Department of Motor Vehicles as verification. When there is a verified crime, such as a theft, the Police Department will complete the necessary reports and investigate the incident. A case number will be provided to the victims of these reported crimes.

License Plate Letter (pdf)